MBA VS PGDM: What is the difference between these two?
  •  I am in final year of btech and i want to do MBA.....
    plz provide me details about GBO Programme of Shree Ram College Of Commerse
    Is GBO programme is a mba or pgdm or diploma??
    And plz also tell me about college is good or not?

plz reply 
  • @RAVISH18: GBO from Shri Ram College of Commerce is a Post Graduate Diploma course, the course is affiliated to University of Delhi. The programme lays emphasis on Finance, Marketing or HR in a global perspective.

There will be a written test followed by GD, PI as a selection criteria. Keep no doubts about the programme and college it is worth your time & money. Do keep in mind that if your looking for MBA, this course is not an MBA programme it is a PG Diploma.

• but srikanth sir i think PGDM and GBO programme both are diploma course, can u tell me difference about PGDM and GBO programme?
    and plz tell me one more thing, is GBO programme beneficial after b.tech or not?   
  • @srikant : I m not at all leaving my current job. I just wish to further my education profile.

Now that i have done my PGDBF.. should i still go for MBA.. would it make a difference..

or shud i go for MCOM/CFA or something like that...
  • but srikanth sir i think PGDM and GBO programme both are diploma course, can u tell me difference about PGDM and GBO programme?
    and plz tell me one more thing, is GBO programme beneficial after b.tech or not? 
  • @tejas1606: PGDBF will limit your career in one particular sector that is Banking & Finance; in future if you wish to change job it will be most likely be in Banking sector again. To have access to more jobs you can go for MBA, that surely adds value, you are talking about Distance MBA it will have less value as compared to full time MBA. Sure you do a distance MBA it will help you, as I said it will help you but it won't create new jobs for you.
  • @RAVISH 18: PGDM is terminology used by Business Schools which run AICTE approved management course, that is a common convention. GBO is also something like that but this course is run under affiliation to Delhi University, it is a course designed by Shri Ram College & Delhi University; it lays emphasis on global business scenarios.
  • There are a lot of college that provide PGDM. As Mr. Srikanth said,  PGDM courses are more Industry relevant as compared to MBA courses.
    Go for Institutes like Welingkar. It will thoroughly expose you to real-life situations. And on priority, decide which field you want to pursue your MBA in

• Hi Srikanth,
    I am from gen category. Can I still do MBA from a good B school. I have always been a good student but due to some reason could not focus on my studies during graduation. 10TH - 86% & 12TH- 90%). I even got admission in DCAC college DU b.com hons but I went there for only 2 days... Please advice me how can I improve my educational qualifications. I also wanted to know if I could do FRM or credit analyst course.(Don't want to do anything which requires distance learning). At last if I none of the above mention options are available for me which course should I do?( Preferably Finance). And finally what is the scope and value of distance learning MBA courses and best college to do MBA via distance learning. Please help?
  • hii sir
    I enquired about a institue WLCI which is offering a UK based PGDBM.It has many branches all over India.I was looking for it.Plz suggest me.is it a good college.
    please reply asap..
  • @naveenrao0001: Consider doing PGDM or MBA from a recognized Indian University, there are plenty of them. The problem with foreign MBA degrees is that they neither fall under the ambit of AICTE nor UGC, which usually is a must.

To suggest you MBA or PGDM colleges, I don't know what management exams you have appeared and your graduation and your profile. Fill up this form, sure will get in touch http://form.careermitra.com.
  • Hey Srikanth still waiting for your reply.. 
  • @Gud you cannot do a full time MBA with less than 50% graduation marks, you consider doing PGDBF course from Baroda Manipal School of Banking. All details are available at http://www.bmsb.manipal.edu/about-programme/faqs.html.

Distance MBA is also fine but go for Business Schools like Symbiosis, Welingkar Mumbai or any other ranked business schools.
  • Hi Srikanth,
    I have done my BE graduation in 2010 and working in good organisation from last 3 year in VLSI domain.
    Is it advisable to join a external post graduation courses like MBA/PGDM/M.tech  or MS(BITS pilani,company is going to provide)??which is better among above all for my future career.Is it worth of doing post graduation being in te same company or better to switch company for better opportunity?
    Pls help me out
  • @Veeresh: If you are in a good organization and the job satisfies you then there is no need to do any courses, you are a BE graduate it is good enough. If you want to do further courses do from reputed Institutions such as IIMs, IITs even BITS Pilani is also good.
  • Sir,got calls for attending GD&PI based on mat %ile and cmat score. The institutes are IPE,ALLIANCE UNIVERSITY, ITM, GITAM. Can you suggest me which colleges are good.I wanted to know whether ALLIANCE university is a preferrable one??i want to know the details.and also what i must prepare for the GDPI session.
  • @alekhya Alliance University fee structure is Rs 1200,000 for 2 years which doesn't include hostel & mess. It makes Alliance a tough choice; try in Business Schools such as Christ University, St Joseph's College of Business Administration, ITM Navi Mumbai, IMDR Pune, Balaji Institute of Modern Management.

In your choices ITM Navi Mumbai & GITAM Vizag campuses are good. IPE is fine.

GD, PI in most MAT colleges will be easy; don't worry it won't be like a GD, PI for a JOB. They look for communication skills, leadership skills.

If you require assistance related to Business Schools, visit http://form.careermitra.com
  • hello srikant, i have completed my diploma from a govt college in the year 2007 and now wish to do PGDM in marketing either in bangalore or pune. please tell me your views and suggest me few colleges that offer crash course( 6 months or so ) in the required field..  
  • @roshan8 You can go for a 1 year weekend Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDMM) from Symbiosis Pune. The duration is one year, the selection of the students will be done on the basis of Personal Interviews at SIBM Pune Lavale Campus. The PGDMM fee is Rs 50,000. There will be certificate courses in Marketing Management not crash courses.

I don't know if your Diploma is treated equally as Graduation or not. You can contact the programme coordinators from Symbiosis, the phone numbers are available at http://www.sibm.edu/Programmes/OneYearDiploma.html.
  • sir,may i know what is the cut off in snap?is it based on the score achieved else the composite score??
  • Sir I m currently in the final yr of my chem engg. M really confused dat shld I go fr a job aftr my b.e n do part time MBA? Or shld I do a full time MBA course n den go fr a job? Does part time hold value equivalent to full time? Could u suggest me d branch fr MBA since I m frm chem engg background? Is it so dat I hv to compulsory do MBA aftr b.e widout wich a chem engg graduate dsnt get a job? I hv heard dat mere chem engg graduates dnt get a job specifically fr a person like me who needs in Mumbai nly m who isnt eligible to sit fr colg placements cozz of low aggregate All my engg sems. Pls help
  • Sir I m currently in the final yr of my chem engg. M really confused dat shld I go fr a job aftr my b.e n do part time MBA? Or shld I do a full time MBA course n den go fr a job? Does part time hold value equivalent to full time? Could u suggest me d branch fr MBA since I m frm chem engg background? Is it so dat I hv to compulsory do MBA aftr b.e widout wich a chem engg graduate dsnt get a job? I hv heard dat mere chem engg graduates dnt get a job specifically fr a person like me who needs in Mumbai nly n who isnt eligible to sit fr colg placements cozz of low aggregate throughout All my engg sems. cud u also temme wich coll is better fr mba? Sydenham at churchgate or d.y patil at belapur? Pls help
  • @Hidden User: If you get a Job after your B.E go ahead with it, you can do MBA after working for about 2-3 years. Most Engineer Students are shifting towards IT (Software); it doesn't matter even if you are a Chemical Engineer, you can still fetch jobs in IT. You can get into Software Testing if not; you take software courses and base your job through that.

If you are concerned about doing MBA go ahead, any graduate will be eligible to do MBA. You can excel in any specialization there is no bar on it. What interests you, you should choose that. Go with Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics.
  • @Srikanth Krishna: Sir, there is a lot of difference from IIMs and other Business Schools. IIMs are better than all other Universities in India, hence even though they don't provide MBA it is more valuable. But other PGDM colleges are not ranked better than many good universities. Delhi University, BHU, ICFAI University, GITAM University, Jawaharlal Nehru University, AMITY University and so on. Is PGDM really better than these University MBA courses?
  • Sir,is symbiosis institute of telecom management a good college to go for??
  • Sir,I am an engineering student,electronics and telecommunication branch,final year ,placed at TCS but I have interest in news reading and in communication field.i havent prepared for CAT or any other competetive exam,should i pursue PGDM in communication abd if so from which college?
  • @Prapurna_1993: If you have got placed in TCS it is better to work for 2-3 years and later on go for MBA or PGDM. Since you have not appeared for CAT, SNAP or XAT for this academic year admissions, go ahead with your Job.
  • sir my sis has got 90 percentile in MAT can u plzz guide wat r her options n wat ll b best for her??
    thanku
  • @Hidden User: Can you ask her to provide more details by visiting http://form.careermitra.com/ and also refer Top 10 MBA colleges through MAT.
  • Can a Diploma holder apply for MBA or PGDM? or is degree a must?
  • @Kavitha No, a graduate with an UGC recognized degree or a course treated equally as a degree by AIU can only apply for MBA or PGDM courses.
  • Helllo sir

I have completed my B.E in Electrical Engineering from Mumbai University with 70%. Now i am looking for further study in management but from open university as i cannot resign from my presence job .what course is good for me to make my career boost as i am working in core branch of electrical engg. Please suggest some gud course and open university.

• @nadeemmansuri If you do MBA from Open Universities it is not useful as much as you think. It is better to do MBA full time by taking important management entrance exams CAT or GMAT. You can try for Distance Programmes from best business schools like Symbiosis Pune, Welingkar Mumbai or do an Executive MBA.
  • Hello @srikanth krishna.
    i am a working professional with 3.6 yrs experience in SAP BW, i need to know Which masters degree would go with SAP BW, im planing for a pgdm course from welinkars, they say its a hybrid (you dont have to attend lectures) course and its recognised by foreign universities too, i would really appreciate if you could shed some light on it.
  • @SAPallen This Hybrid Learning is just another name given for a Distance Learning Programme, the PGDM course you are talking about is autonomous (Welingkar's own programme) approved by DEC & AICTE. It is a recognized course and adds value on your CV + Welingkar is a reputed business school you can expect a different approach in teaching the curriculum.

You can look for PGDM in E-Business, link here https://www.welingkaronline.org/distance-learning-online/MBA-E-Business.aspx in my view it suits with your profile.

However if you want to go for a general pgdm programme, you can choose PGDM Business Administration course. https://www.welingkaronline.org/distance-learning-online/MBA-general-management.aspx
  • Hello sir,

I am an Engineering graduate(2010 passed out).Presently I am working in Qatar. I am planning to do online MBA in Production & Operations Management.I shortlisted Amity,Wellinkar,Amity is offering MBA & later offering PGDBA.Both universities are fully online based.So which one should i go for?..pls suggest me other options also.

• Sir suggest me whether PGDM or MBA is good option?which course has higher value?and is any colleges in kolkata approved by aicte and aiu both?
  • Hello, Thank you for this post!

Can you please let me know if MBA from "School of Management, Manipal" (formerly Manipal Institute Of Management) is accredited by AICTE or AIMA?
    Their website mentions only AIMA and not AICTE - http://manipal.edu/som/about-som/accreditations-and-affiliations.html

Where as I do see their name listed under AICTE approved list here - http://www.aicte-india.org/downloads/MGMT/Karnataka_MGMT.pdf

The reason I ask this question is because I would like to know whether or not an MBA degree in finance from SOM will be recognized in USA?

Thanks for your help in advance!

• @hope4best The website says that they are active members of AIMA, AIMA is a professional management body; many bschools are members in it. It is not related to accreditation. Manipal is an University they offer MBA Programme from Manipal University only. Your MBA is valid in US the acceptance is your Employer related thing.
  • Hello sir...
    I have a query about pgdm course that..
    PGDM is a diploma of duration 2 years.. after this diploma can I get placement easily ??
    My 6 sem ia going on... After dat I wz wondering to do pgdm course plez suggest some colleges in bhopal....

A very thankful sir !!
  • Hello sir,

I am an Engineering graduate(2010 passed out).Presently I am working in Qatar. I am planning to do online MBA in Production & Operations Management.I shortlisted Amity,Wellinkar,Amity is offering MBA & later offering PGDBA.Both universities are fully online based.So which one should i go for?..pls suggest me other options also...Pls REPLY
  • @Sanju I don't want to misguide you by saying that you will get a placement easily by doing a PGDM. How can that be possible, whether you do MBA or PGDM placements are student specific and depends on the Business School where you study. Good B-Schools draw good no. of recruiters, you should put afford and write the management entrance exams such as a CAT or XAT and score well to join a good b-school.

• Thank you sir..Thank you very much.
  • Sir,One more doubt am having.Whats your suggestion on doing online PGDBA in Alliance University while compared to Welingkar.Actually am looking for Operations & Production Management.Welinkar is providing Operations Management & Alliance is providing Lean Operations Management(Excecutive Programme).Can you suggest me which one is more Production oriented...Either Lean Operations Or Operations Management?
  • @manhalmanzoor Welingkar's syllabus is quiet comprehensive it covers TQM, Project Management, Production, Planning and Control. Please visit https://www.welingkaronline.org/distance-learning-online/MBA-Operations-Management.aspx. I would suggest Welingkar because it is better than Alliance University in terms of reputation.

Other options means you can try for:

• Hi all 

My situation is like i have already joined MBA Finance in Anna univeristy chennai (Distance education) but my company is offering me PGDMBM- which is a Diploma in Business Management from Symbiosis university pune 

So can some some one suggest me whether should i continue MBA Finance in Anna Univ or this PGDMBM??

Whis is fruitful and which ll be helpful for my career ??
  • im doing pgdiploma in jute technology and management,from ijt,kolkata,i want to join mtech after dis...plz guide

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion